Information Systems Technical Specialist
Company: Padre Dam Municipal Water District
Posted on: May 25, 2023
DESCRIPTIONPadre Dam Municipal Water District and the East
County Advanced Water Purification is seeking a Customer
Service-oriented and Tech-savvy individual to join our Information
Systems Department.Under general supervision of the Information
Systems Manager/Director of Human Resources and Administrative
Services depending upon area of assignment, Incumbent is
responsible for implementing, maintaining, administering, and
modifying Padre Dam's technology, computing environment, network
and business application systems. Duties may include installing,
configuring, testing, securing and maintaining hardware, software,
peripherals and communication equipment; troubleshooting complex
and/or recurring application, hardware and software problems;
recommending and/or implementing solutions, system additions,
upgrades and training; overseeing the answering and placing of help
desk calls; training users or arranging training for users;
purchasing IT related equipment and supplies; managing contracts
and work done by consultants; maintaining various computer-related
systems such as web-based systems and applications, e-mail,
document management, file servers and related security needs;
responding to emergency calls; managing and administering Padre
Dam's telecommunications system; performing project management
tasks; and other duties as assigned.ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Troubleshoots employee computer and application problems;
performs repairs as needed, provides feedback and recommends and/or
implements solutions, upgrades and training.
- Plans and prepares integration of new and upgraded technology.
Installs, updates, maintains, configures, tests and secures
computer hardware, software, printers, peripherals and
- Participates in District web-based project development, web
applications and web site maintenance.
- Identifies, arranges, and provides hardware and software
training needs to District staff.
- Provides technical assistance and instruction to computer users
and less experienced personnel.
- Completes system upgrades for both software and hardware;
- Orders IT related equipment and supplies across multiple
- Performs network administration activities to include:
performing back-ups, restoring files; adding, modifying or deleting
user accounts; checking space requirements; screening user
activity; applying and monitoring security patches for all
operating systems and server applications; Monitors, maintains,
updates virus and malware protection systems and software;
installing and configuring server, network and workstation
operating systems; and configuring router and firewall
- Administers telecommunication systems and contracts.
- Writes proposals, reports, and other miscellaneous
- Oversees computer-related support contracts and work done by
consultants. Coordinates in-house and outsourced resources during
IT/IS projects (cabling, remote site/temporary site setup, wired
and wireless networks). Contacts and coordinates with vendors for
solutions to hardware/software issues.
- Monitors server, desktop PCs and network performance metrics;
interprets information from monitoring and diagnostic tools.
- Monitors network security and internet usage.
- Provides input for cost center budgeting and expenditures.
- Maintains documentation regarding processes, procedures,
problems, solutions, licensing and equipment inventories.
- Support IS Manager in planning of hardware and software
upgrades, replacements and installations to meet District needs and
Information System Strategic Plan initiatives.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- A lead employee is this class specification directs the work of
other Information Systems Technical Specialists and may have
additional duties.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE &
- Computer hardware, software, printer and related peripherals
for Windows-based systems;
- Windows-based server and workstation computer operating
systems, Microsoft Active Directory
- Local Area Network and Wide Area Network (LAN/WAN) hardware and
- Network protocols and troubleshooting;
- Firewall, router, and other network hardware and software;
- Project management tools;
- Appropriate security measures to protect Padre Dam's computer
network from unauthorized access;
- Backup procedures and methodology;
- Electrical safety concepts;
- Wireless network methodology/protocols.Skills :
- Strong writing skills with the ability to effectively
communicate in writing thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc.
- Ability to effectively utilize project management skills in
performing the tasks of the position.
- Resolving problems;
- Developing and managing project budgets, tracking time for
internal project resources;
- Troubleshooting hardware and software problems;
- Training users on how to use hardware and software;
- Writing procedural manuals;
- Setting up, installing and configuring hardware and software
- Using computers, peripherals and software applications
- Initiative and creativity in utilizing all available resources
to research and implement new technologies;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to
exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Performing backups and restoring lost data.Training and
ExperienceAssociate's Degree, or higher, in Computer Information
Systems or related field and at least four years' experience
working in computer-related positions with operating systems; OR
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems or related field
and at least two years' experience working in computer-related
positions with business systems software. ; OR An equivalent
combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully
perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Based upon job assignment, certification may be necessary and is
highly desired. Including, but not limited to CompTia A+, Microsoft
certification (MCP, MCSA, MSCE), VMware, Palo Alto, etc. In order
to work in the higher grade, certifications will be
required.SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATIONAs part of the East County
Advanced Water Purification Project (ECAWP), Padre Dam is entering
into an Administrative and Operating Services Agreement (Agreement)
with the East County CAWP Joint Powers Authority (JPA). Padre Dam,
as the contracted Administrator and Operator, will provide
management, administrative, operations, maintenance and similar or
related services for JPA owned ECAWPAWP facilities. The
Administrator and Operator functions will require Padre Dam to hire
additional personnel for the development period of the project, or
until the Agreement to provide those services is otherwise
terminated or not extended. Once the Agreement is terminated or
expires, Padre Dam will no longer need the additional personnel and
will no longer have the funding to support additional personnel.
ECAWP Project Funded Employees will be specifically hired as
employees for the duration of time that the District is providing
Administrative and Operating Services, but those employees may
perform any work for the District within their employment
classification, not just work under the Agreement. ECAWP Project
Funded Employees will be provided the same rights and benefits as
other Permanent Padre Dam Employees, and be hired into the same
classifications with the same salaries, except with respect to
termination of employment if Padre Dam ceases to provide
Administrator or Operator services to ECAWP. The current Agreement
is for a period of approximately ten years. External applicants
will be considered contract employees.If you are selected to move
forward in the recruitment process, we will conduct interviews the
second week of July.
Keywords: Padre Dam Municipal Water District, Santee , Information Systems Technical Specialist, IT / Software / Systems , Santee, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...